Thursday, November 10, 2011

30 Days of Thankfulness - Days 9 & 10

Day 9
I am thankful for a roof over my head.
It's very easy to wake up in a warm bed, with a house that has heat and forget just how lucky we have it... so today I am giving thanks for my home....
When I was a junior in highschool I went on an amazing missions trip (one of many) to Mexico, where we handed out backpacks, school supplies, toiletries, clothing, shoes, etc.. to people in need. One area in particular was a city dump. People had made makeshift "houses" out of the things they could find around them (unfortunatley mostly garbage) and lived there.
My heart sank, and immediately I wanted to cry... but my youth pastor at the time reminded me that to them, this is home and all that they have, and this is why we were there - to put smiles on their face, and provide some things that can help them get by...
As I walked around, I saw a woman holding a brand new baby (possibly a couple days old - at the max) and I went up to her to sneak a peek at the BEAUTIFUL bundle of joy! She had gobs of black hair, a little sleeper on, and socks over her hands so she wouldn't scratch herself. The woman was standing outside of a makeshift "lean to" where she lived, gave birth and was raising this infant, in the city dump. She let me hold the baby, and we talked in Spanish, and my life, right there, was changed forever.... I have a picture of me with this AMAZING baby and it has gone with me to every place I have ever lived... a precious little reminder that we are truly blessed.. and it also makes me feel so grateful for that experience to go and do what I could to make a difference...
Oh how blessed we are.
Day 10
I am thankful for friendship!
Whether is is a friend that has been by your side for EVER, or a friend that you come across blogging (tee hee hee) nothing puts a warm and fuzzy feeling in your heart like a person that you just KNOW could be your sister! :-)
When I count my truest of true blessings, I am so thankful for my beautiful friendships - new, old or just waiting for me out there!!!
I hope EACH and EVERY one of you lovelies has a blessed and SPARKtacular day...
Remember - YOU are a HUMAN sparkler. YOU are.
Reach out and touch someones life today - even if it's just with a SMILE!
:-) MUCH LOVE,
Maggie

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for stumbling upon your blog. You have a beautiful soul!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear from you!